Thursday, July 30, 2009

How Strange It Is

How strange it seems to be home. There is always something of a re-entry problem after a long vacation. You've forgotten some of the simple routines that just weeks ago were so familiar. My American style TV remote and digital video recorder require a little thought. I haven't used a dishwasher, microwave, washer/dryer or cell phone since mid-June. I haven't driven a car.

I don't need to set my alarm clock or hail a taxi or ride the bus. I just jump into my car and go where ever I want whenever I want. I find I've missed American magazines, newspapers, and brightly lighted rooms. I haven't watched TV for the past few months, and I haven't missed it. Except for one cup of instant coffee in the morning, I quit drinking coffee in China and don't seem to crave it now. I feel rich because I have an unlimited supply of toilet paper and paper towels and paper products of any kind. I brush my teeth with tap water. I can read every street and store sign in America.

But most of all, I've missed the silence. I live in a very quiet place. I had not realized just how quiet until I returned. I stayed home for a few days just enjoying that silence. The only place I went was the nearby Safeway. It was quiet too, even though there were dozens of shoppers. They shop so quietly.

I spent $115.00 (I can't tell you how many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners that would buy in China) and paid with my Safeway discount card and my MasterCard. I haven't used a discount or credit card since I've been gone. Except in major cities or in luxury stores like Gucci or Armani (there are many such stores in China), most establishments don't accept credit cards (and even if they did, many cards charge up to 3% on international transactions).

Although I've missed some American things, I am also missing some things Chinese. It's very easy to get to know Chinese people. They love the company of Americans; they are warm, friendly and kind-hearted. It would be difficult to be lonely in China. I miss my Chinese students too. They bond so easily and have a kind of sweet naivete that you would seldom see in an American university student. Our kids are more "street-smart" and very grown up for their ages.

This blog is coming to an end. My posts have perhaps been "more than you needed to know." I will add a few more pictures of China and perhaps a few book reviews as I read my way into Fall. Otherwise, I am signing off the China beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment