Thursday, July 30, 2009

When Things Go Wrong

Years ago a retired airline pilot friend of mine named Mac reminded me of a valuable life lesson. We were going out for dinner with Mac and his wife. I offered to drive. Unfortunately, I'd been busy all day and had forgotten to buy gas. We ran out of gas about .5 mile from home on a very hot summer evening. It was obvious to everyone that we were going to miss our dinner reservation.

Everyone was pretty upset with me, except for Mac. He hopped out of the car, helped me out, and started walking up a very steep hill, back to where his car was parked. He took my arm and we walked together. He said, "You know, I look forward to challenges like this. Since I've been retired there aren't many of them. I like to know that I can still rise to the occasion with a workable solution and a good spirit. Don't worry. This is nothing."

Every time I get in a jam now (which happens more than you might think), I remember Mac and his good advice. I had only one day in China when I needed Mac's voice in my ear. One morning I got up early and went to the hotel lobby to use a computer. I finished in about 15 minutes and went back to my room on the third floor. I couldn't open the door. I thought the electronic keycard wasn't working so I went back down to the desk to get a new one. The desk clerk refreshed the card, and I went back up. The door still wouldn't open. It dawned on me slowly that the lock (which had been a little recalcitrant all week) was broken.

It didn't take long to realize that this could be a really bad day. I wasn't completely dressed or made up for school. I didn't have money, my breakfast meal ticket, bottled water, toilet paper, my lesson plans for the day, or (worst of all) the props and costumes for the play that my class was presenting for 40 guests. I'm sure you recognize that sinking feeling.

I get busy and work my way through the chain of command at the hotel. It's still only 6:30 in the morning. School doesn't start until 8:30. Perhaps I can get this fixed. By 7:30 I'm four-levels up the hierarchy, and the hotel manager is standing at my door, a big smile on his face, holding the largest key ring I've ever seen. It's about 14" across and contains about 200 or more keys. One of these keys is the emergency key that unlocks any failed door lock in the hotel. Unfortunately, the keys are unmarked. He begins at one end of the key ring.

By 8:00 I know the worst has happened. The bus will be coming in a few minutes, and I'll have to go to school without anything, including proper clothes or brushed teeth. Only Mac is with me. Today is a day for winging it. Fortunately, I have lots of ideas in my mind, if not on paper, and by the time I get to school, I've come up with some fun, interesting things to do and a good story to tell the kids (who promptly offer what help they can).

When I return to the hotel at noon, my room is wide open and someone is guarding the door so no one steals my belongings which include 3,000 yuan on the bathroom counter (we just got paid for this week). The guard calls the manager who lets me know that I need to move to a new room on the fifth floor. I have five weeks' worth of clothes, stacks and stacks of lesson plans, food, and all my worldly goods scattered every where. It's a big job to move. It takes so long that there is no time for lunch (just as there was no breakfast) or a shower. Just a quick teeth brushing.

The upside of the downside is that I got a better room than I had, with a good air conditioner and a working refrigerator. I wouldn't have made it without you, Mac.


No comments:

Post a Comment