Friday, July 3, 2009

The American Middleman

You probably aren't aware that you are receiving my posts Chinese style, i.e., through a middleman. In the U.S., the Internet is wide open; in China, the government controls some aspects of the Internet which means that some sites cannot be accessed here (like parts of U Tube, Face Book, and Google). Google has been in something of a struggle with China this past year over the banning of some Internet content. Consequently, I cannot access my own China blog here in China (it's a Google blog); so I "hired" a middleman, my son Christian, to ferry my email messages to you. When he gets my email, he converts it to a blog posting.


I have realized in the past two weeks that it is a completely unrealistic task to report on China. It is an amazingly complex place. The best I can do is report various sights and incidents. Our schedule has been very demanding. We are often up at 5:30 a.m. and busy until 8:30 or 9 in the evening. Many days it is over 100 degrees (today 104), and we do a lot of walking so we're tired at the end of the day. Add to that the complexities and expense of using the Internet. Many of the teachers brought their own laptops so they can use them wireless in the hotel lobby for free. I didn't bring mine, so I use the business center which is about $16 for 50 minutes. In other parts of the world, I've always been able to find cheap Internet shops or cafes, but that isn't easy here unless you have your own computer.


I have messages for some of my friends:

Hud: One of the people I'm travelling with is your twin. You'd be absolutely amazed. He founded the Wichita Marathon and has run it every year for the past 30 years. He's in great shape just like you. When you and Jill come to Tucson to visit, I'm going to get the two of you together. The resemblance is remarkable.

Myrna and Gloria: The Journal is terrific; I use it every day.

Karen: Yoga for Travellers has been a hit.

Rick: I've seen the finest arhitectural model ever on an unimaginable scale -- a model if the inner rings of Beijing, building by building. Our guide has a degree in urbal planning, and he participated in the construction of this model.

Miscellaneous note for dog lovers: People who live inside the inner rings of Beijing cannot have large dogs, and they cannot let any dogs outside during the daytime (an effort to keep the streets clean).

No comments:

Post a Comment